POSTGRADUATE INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE
UNIVERSITY OF COLOMBO
SELECTION EXAMINATION FOR DIPLOMA IN VENERELOGY
Date : 13th July, 2006 Time : 1.00 p.m. – 4.00 p.m.
Answer All Five questions.
Each question in a separate book.
1. As the university medical officer, you are given the responsibility of educating a small
group of university students on safer sexual practices.
1.1 What is meant by safer sexual practices ? (30 Marks)
1.2 Briefly describe the practices you would highlight in your
educational session. (70 marks)
2. As the MOH you are informed by a group of villagers in the area that a woman who had
returned from abroad is HIV positive. They are worried to have an HIV infected woman
in the village.
2.1 Discuss briefly how would counsel this group. (40 marks)
2.2 How would you manage this woman who is suspected to be HIV
Positive ? (60 marks)
3. Reproductive tract infections (RTIs) are a public health problem in Sri Lanka
3.1 What is meant by reproductive tract infections? (30 marks)
3.2 Outline the steps that can be taken to reduce the incidence of
reproductive tract infections in Sri Lanka. (70 marks)
4. As of end 2005, only three cases of transfusion related HIV infection have been reported
I Sri Lanka. This is due to the steps taken to ensure blood transfusion safety in the
Comment on the above statement. (100 marks)
5. As the newly appointed MOH you are planning to make a presentation at the monthly
conference to improve STD/HIV prevention activities in the area.
5.1 How would you assess the current situation in the area before
your presentation ? (25 marks)
5.2 List the topics you would cover in this presentation (25 marks)
5.3 Outline the content of your presentation to cover the topics
listed above. (50 marks)